Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Wee Bit about Running On the Rhode

I'm one of those lifelong runners, although I didn't really enjoy it until the last few years.  Ran track from 3rd to 8th grade, then cross country in high school, then took a break in college, then moved to Rhode Island and got back into running while I was in graduate school. Ran a 10 mile race in the summer of 2005 and got very very badly dehydrated. Started running a bunch of shorter local races. Took a running hiatus for no real reason. Got married. Returned to running and ran my first half marathon in 2008. Ran a half marathon every time I reached a graduate school milestone. Finished my Ph.D. Ran my first and second marathons in 2011. And here I am today.

Running paralleled the end of graduate school. Set goals. Work hard. Try again if you don't get it right the first time. Persist in the face of adversity. Celebrate when you meet your goals. One of my favorite sayings is that everything I need to know about life, I learned from running.

I am likely to talk about:
running - Training, tips, observations, race reports ... it's all fair game.
marathons - ran my first 2 this year and have one more lined up for 2011
Rhode Island - I grew up elsewhere and will be moving soon, but for now I am a transplanted Rhode Islander.  Rhode Island is a small strange place.
psychology/statistics - By training I am a quantitative social psychologist. I spend my days looking at data and telling people what numbers mean.
random thoughts - whatever else I can think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment