Saturday, February 23, 2013

Boston Training Week 11

My plan for the week was cross train, run 4 and 8 miles, cross train, rest, 4 and 16 mile long run.

I decided early in the week that the 16 mile long run just was not going to happen. I was too busy. The weather wasn't great. I had a cold for most of the week. Normally, time, weather, and colds do not interfere with my training schedule. This was scrapping a run to stave off an injury.

I had a moment of insight on yesterday's run where I think I am finally OK with letting go of any goal I had for Boston. I realized that I can't train the way I could in the past, but that doesn't have to stop me from training for fun and running a marathon for fun. Maybe I'll wear a Boston College Superfan T-shirt to the marathon. Yes, I have an Under Armour Superfan T-shirt. Maybe I'll hunt down one of those headbands with eagles on it (BC's mascot is an eagle). That could be fun. It was the first time in a long time where I thought about the marathon and wasn't dreading it.

Besides, don't you get more for your entry fee buck if you stay out on the course longer?

I took it kinda easy this week. I stumbled into few discoveries: I need to run more on the treadmill (because the incline is controlled and the surface is softer), inclines bother my foot more than declines (which would explain why my 2 regular long run routes bother me more on the way back ... they follow creeks and are slightly downhill on the way out and slightly uphill on the way back), and running in compression socks/sleeves helps. Now I just need to get more compression gear.

Sunday - Rest. Kinda. I think running up and down my stairs all day moving boxes and putting things away counts as exercise.

Monday - 4.4 mile run. Outside. Felt the beginnings of a cold coming on.

Tuesday - 4.2 miles on the treadmill, plus upper body lifting.

Wednesday - Rest. Usually I don't make adjustments for being sick, but I'm already not sticking to my schedule that carefully and just wasn't feeling the need to push it.

Thursday - 1 hour on the bike. Got to the gym really early before work. I really need to get my own hairdryer to bring with me. The ones in the gym take forever and it's cutting into my workout time.

Friday - 4.6 mile run. Outside. Didn't even need a light. Oh, that will change in a few weeks, but I'll take it for now. The cold was wrapping up too. It was nice to breathe again.

Saturday - 6.5 mile run outside in cold misty rain. A little chilly, but I was dressed appropriately. Not the 16 miles on my training schedule. It was what my body could handle and actually it was nice to go out and run whatever I felt like. No pressure. No pushing it.

Total Miles:19.7

No comments:

Post a Comment