Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Boston Marathon Playlist

It's that time to pull my marathon playlist together. The more and more I think about it, I may not even run with my iPod. But we'll see. It will be a marathon-eve or gameday decision.

I take my playlist from my previous marathon, cut any song that I didn't like during the race or am just tired off, add new songs, and pick some songs that are location-specific. King of New Orleans made on my playlist for New Orleans. Ocean songs made it onto my playlist for Virginia Beach.

Here are some new editions. I've been on an 80s kick, thanks to the Depeche Mode station on Pandora.

Ellie Goulding - Lights
Information Society - What's On Your Mind (Pure Energy)
Linkin Park - Burn It Down
Talk Talk - Life's What You Make It
Bruno Mars - Locked Out of Heaven
Christina Aguilera - Your Body
Rihanna - Diamonds

The Boston-specific song are an interesting mix. If I could live anywhere, I would live in Boston. Hands down. Despite that, I have a love-hate relationship with Boston. See, I have an ex-boyfriend who, as far as I know, is in Boston. Things between us didn't end well at all. I am going back to Boston College this summer for a college reunion. There are some events around this time of year that are kicking up old memories. Physically being in Boston, especially in April, magnifies all of that. Having said that, the ex-boyfriend and anything that reminds me of him motivate me to run harder, not give up, push through discomfort, and I am stronger than I ever imagined. So there will be Boston songs, Boston College songs, bad relationship songs, and anything that helped me get through the 2007-2008 academic year (related to dealing with the ex-boyfriend). Bring it, Boston.

Dropkick Murphys - I'm Shipping Up to Boston (was already on my playlist from Shamrock/Gansett)
Seal - Fly like an Eagle (Go Boston College Eagles!)
Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
Switchfoot - Dare You to Move
Nine Inch Nails - The Hand That Feeds
Pearl Jam - Evenflow (live from Boston May 2006 ... yes, I was there)
The Standells - Dirty Water (played at the end of Boston Red Sox games)
Foo Fighters - The Pretender
Nine Inch Nails & Carley Rae Jepson - Call Me A Hole - I cannot even tell you how brilliant this mash-up is. It is NIN's vocals with the instrumentals/beat from Call Me Maybe. Dark lyrics with an upbeat tune? Perfect for Boston.
Foo Fighters - Best of You
Katy Perry - Part of Me (already on my playlist from Gansett, but also fits with the bad relationship theme)

No comments:

Post a Comment