Saturday, September 10, 2011

Marathon Training Week 14

My training plan for the week was cross-train, run 5, 5, and 5 miles, rest, 8 mile run, and 12 mile long run. Last stepback week before one more high mileage week and taper. Woah. I seriously do not know how that came up so fast.

A few weeks back, I was concerned about overtraining. I didn't know if I was running too fast. I didn't want to push too hard and not have enough recovery time. Recovering from Rock N Roll Providence took longer than I expected and slowed me down for a good week or so. But after running 20 miles with no soreness the next day (which has never ever ever happened) and doing an effortless unscheduled pace run (see Tuesday), I don't think I am pushing too hard or overtraining. Maybe all of the changes I've made this training cycle are paying off.

Sunday – yoga on demand, plus calf raises

Monday – 5.2 mile run, plus upper body exercises and squats at the gym. Easy peasy run. It was like my legs forgot that I ran 20 miles over the weekend. Switched my Monday and Wednesday lifting sessions because Monday was a holiday. I had more time to go to the gym on Monday, and I could do what I planned to do on Wednesday at home.

Tuesday – 5.2 mile run. Even more easy peasy lemon squeezy than Monday's run and yet it was at marathon goal pace. Take a look at my schedule and note that there is no pace run this week. My first mile was at marathon goal pace so I went with it. That's what happens when you get a cool and showery day. Remember my first 5 mile pace run on the treadmill in Week 1? Remember how I thought it was not impossible but challenging? Not so much anymore. Tuesday's run was a breeze.

Wednesday – Supposed to run in the morning, but I was having issues with Rhody G. Again. Bad, Garmin, bad. Please stop misbehaving. I can only get it to turn on by doing a soft reset (hold mode and lap/reset and then press the on button). I haven't be able to upload my workouts to Garmin Connect since last week, although I can see my data on the watch and can manually upload the important data points. Today's issue was because the battery wasn't charged. That's my fault, not a misbehaving Garmin. Did lunges, lower back, and abs, then went to work early. 5.2 mile run in the evening. In some rain. Smartwool socks get a thumbs up from me in the rain. Also did some pushups in the evening when I got home.

Thursday – Rest day. More rain. A good day to not run.

Friday – 8.2 mile run around the East Side of Providence. Humid but comfortable. I realized that walking aggravates my ankle. On Thursday I walked a lot, including a break after lunch. Running doesn't bother it, but walking does. Go figure.

Saturday - 12.2 mile run in Washington, DC. Went on a tour of most of the major monuments and attractions, stopped where I pleased to look around, and took advantage of the many public restrooms and water fountains all over the city. Nice job, DC. The sun and humidity were getting to me by the end, but all in all it was a good run and certainly a scenic one.

Total Miles: Scheduled – 35 Actual – 36

No comments:

Post a Comment