Saturday, September 3, 2011

Marathon Training Week 13

My training plan for the week was cross-train, run 5, 8, and 5 miles, rest, 5 mile pace run, and 20 mile long run. Another high mileage week and the first of two 20 mile runs. Bring it, marathon. 35 days to go!!

Darkness in the morning? I am not a fan. It used to be light when I got out of bed. Right now I am lucky if the sun has risen before I head outside. Bah. I have gear for running in the dark, but that doesn't mean I want to start using it yet. I'm going to switch to the treadmill or running in the evenings soon. Or I could take advantage of my flexible work schedule and go in a little later than usual.

Sunday – Tropical Storm Irene. Power got knocked out in the morning. Went for a 3ish mile walk after the storm subsided, and did some calf raises and pushups.

Monday – 8.2 mile run, plus lunges, abs, and lower back at the gym, plus 3/4 mile walk home. I switched the 8 mile run with one of the 5 milers because the power was still out and I decided to stay home to start cleaning up. Hence I had more time. It's actually a good thing to have a day off from work during a high mileage week. Despite no power at the gym either, the gym was open. Plenty of people were there.The only equipment that wasn't working were the treadmills. Can I count sawing up a large tree branch and cleaning up the yard as exercise? I think so. The power came back on just before lunchtime. Yay.

Tuesday – 5.2 mile run. It was supposed to be my first day of class, but the campus was having power issues. So I went to my other job at my other campus, which did have power (at least my building did).

Wednesday – 5.2 mile run in the evening, plus upper body exercises, squats, and planks in the morning. I was all dressed and ready to head out on my run. Rhody G refused to turn on. The instruction manual didn't have instructions on how to reset it. I had power but no Internet and couldn't get online to figure out how to reset it. So I grabbed my iPod, water bottle, and lifting gloves and headed to the gym. Reset Rhody G when I went to work. Went for the run in the evening. I really need to remember that I cannot eat anything orange before I run. That means Goldfish crackers, oranges, carrots, and other orange stuff.

Thursday – Rest day. First day of class take 2.

Friday – 5.2 mile pace run. Nailed it with relatively little effort. Another day bringing a taste of fall.

Saturday – 20.2 mile long run. Ran the first 13 miles with running buddies at various paces, then went off on my own for the last 7 miles and dropped it down to marathon goal pace. Finished in about 3 hours. I broke out the iPod for the last 7 miles. As much as I like running without music, I definitely needed it to get through this run. Legs felt a little sore at the end but were otherwise OK. I took a walk break at mile 19 because I was running out of water and getting too hot. No, I do not feel bad about that. Overall it was a good run.

Total Miles: Scheduled – 43 Actual – 44

August total: 166 miles, 20 runs, average distance of 7.56 miles, average speed of 7 mph (8:34 pace). Thanks, Garmin!

No comments:

Post a Comment