Thursday, October 13, 2011

Running =/= Strong Legs: The Verdict

Yeah yeah, I still have a few more Chicago Marathon posts left. Sorry, just bear with me.

My legs felt pretty much back to normal today. I went for an easy 4 mile run on the treadmill. My legs held up perfectly. I have never had a good run so soon after a marathon before.

In fact, my legs never really hurt too much either during or after the marathon. My calves did not hurt at all (thank you, Zensah compression sleeves). My quads were sore but not nearly as bad as after marathon #1 and #2. My quads did not fail on me like they did in marathon #1 and #2. Hallelujah.

What's the secret?

I started doing squats using an exercise ball with two 12 kg kettlebells. 3 sets of 20 reps once a week. And maybe lunges with one foot on the exercise ball, but I think it was mostly squats. It wasn't a huge extra time commitment and yet strength training on my legs made such a big difference.

Running does not mean strong legs. I get the need for strength training. The verdict? Strength training works.

No comments:

Post a Comment