Saturday, October 22, 2011

Working It

My workout plan for the week is .... no plan. I am currently not training for anything. This is Week 1 of at least 2 weeks of no running at all. Oh, I have my next race picked out. I've plunked down my registration fee and mapped out my training plan. But I don't have to start thinking about training for a wee bit yet. And so I won't. That's nice. I kinda don't want to think about it. I've been constantly training for one thing or another since August 2010. In that time, I have ran 3 marathons, 4 half marathons, 1 10K, and 2 5Ks (the 10K and one of the half marathons lined up perfectly with my training schedule). While I am not burned out, I need a break. I took the week after the Chicago Marathon very easy. Ran twice and that was it. The half marathon was intentionally easy.

I have a general plan in mind of what I want to do for the week. Then I take it a day or two at a time and go do whatever I feel like. Easy cardio? That sounds good. More strength training? Yes please. Try a new class at the gym? Go for it. Extra rest? Sure. This is the time to be flexible.

Sunday - half marathon at a nice easy pace

Monday - rest

Tuesday - upper body strength training (bicep curls, tricep presses, upright rows, chest presses) and core exercises (abs, lower back, and a couple of planks)

Wednesday - 35 minutes on the stationary bike at the gym. Back to early morning workouts at least a few days a week. Can't do early morning workouts on Tuesdays and Thursdays because of my teaching schedule. I'd have to get up at 4 or 4:30 so I could be at the gym by 5, working out by 5:15, home by 6:30, showered and ready to leave at 7:15, teach my first class, go through the day, and finish teaching my second class at 8pm. Yeah. Not happening. I would be a zombie in the second class, and I do not like having time pressure for my workouts.

Thursday - Rest. It was an out of control busy day anyway.

Friday - 35 minutes on the stationary bike at the gym.

Saturday - Body Vive class at the gym. Low-impact aerobics with balls and resistance bands. I liked it. It was a bit of everything and adaptable to your fitness level.

No comments:

Post a Comment