Saturday, January 19, 2013

Boston Training Week 6


My plan for the week was cross train, run 3 and 5 miles, cross train, rest, and run 3 and 7 miles. A step-back week. Again? It feels like I just had one.

At the end of last week, my left foot started acting up. I cannot make this stuff up. But I think I've got the issue under control with more careful attention to my calves. Need to stretch before and after running and foam roll/use The Stick every day. I also need to be careful about switching from the running on the treadmill to running outside too quickly. The hills in the DC area is one of many things that I think contributed to my tendonitis issues. Or rather, switching too quickly from running on relatively flat areas to running on hills contributed to my tendonitis issues. I have no desire to repeat that cycle of misery again.

And how is it less than 100 days til the Boston Marathon? 100 days goes by quickly. But on the other hand, I only have to train for 100 days.

Sunday - About an hour of Christine Felstead's Yoga for Runners Intermediate Program DVD. It runs for almost an hour and a half and I didn't have enough time to do the whole thing. It was challenging. I definitely like this one. Also did one-legged squats with an exercise ball.

Monday - 35 minutes on the bike. My left Achilles tendon was giving me trouble, so I decided cross-training was the smart thing to do. Did lunges and core work in the evening. And lots of foam rolling on my calves.

Tuesday - 3.6 mile run on the treadmill, plus chest exercises and calf raises. Foam rolled again in the evening. I think it helped.

Wednesday - 5.2 miles on the treadmill.

Thursday - Rest.

Friday - 3.6 miles on the treadmill, plus clamshell planks. I was going to do upper body strength training at some point this week, but I figured moving (and carrying boxes and furniture) counts as strength training.

Saturday - 7.8 mile run. Outside. Pretty much the same route as last weekend. Got my overall pace into the 8:40s for the first time in a long time. That felt good.

Total Miles: 20.2

No comments:

Post a Comment