Saturday, June 18, 2011

Marathon Training Week 2

My training plan for the week was cross-train, run 3, 5, and 3 miles, rest, 5 mile run, and 9 mile long run. Still pretty much a regular running week.

The heel/foot/ankle pain is still there, but it's getting better and I think I discovered the root of the worst of it. My shoe rubs against the inside of my ankle the wrong way. So I have been liberally Body Gliding that part of my ankle. Poof. Much better.

I'm also trying to run less with Pod Buddy (iPod) and just go out with Rhody G (Garmin). What? You don't come up with nicknames for your electronics? It's more friendly without headphones. I say hello and talk to people more. I see the same people on one of my usual routes just about every day.

I found a mistake in Hal Higdon's intermediate 1 plan for this week. The schedule on the website says 3 miles for Friday (well, Saturday in the plan, because I shifted the entire plan by one day). The detailed weekly plan says 5 miles. It should be 5 miles. 3 miles just didn't make sense.

Sunday - yoga class, plus lunges with the exercise ball
Monday - 3.7 mile run, plus core work
Tuesday - 5 mile run
Wednesday - 3.8 mile run, most of it with my mother-in-law. Calibrated her Nike+ off of Rhody G. Planned my run so that I ended at the gym, did some upper body exercises and then ran-walked home. Did one-leg squats, calf raises, and a couple of planks in the evening.
Thursday - rest day
Friday - 5 mile run, plus pushups. Planned to run around campus after work because I haven't done that in a long time. But then realized I had plans in the evening and had to run in the morning instead. It worked out for the best. The weather forecast predicted showers and thunderstorms all day, but it was dry in the morning. As an added bonus, I ran into 2 of my running buddies. Just when I needed it.
Saturday - 9.1 mile run. It was sucky. Combo of not fueling and hydrating properly the day before, starting too late, heat/humidity, not hydrating/getting enough electrolytes during the run, and stomach issues. Made it a little more than 6 miles before taking a walk break. Whatever. I kept telling myself that it didn't need to be fast or pretty. It just needed to be done. Eeked out a reasonable pace. Had a difficult recovery. My stomach was very unsettled. Felt better once I got enough food and water/coconut water in my stomach.

So far so good, but I still have 16 weeks to go. I need to get more sleep. You hear that, self? Go to bed earlier. Also, I need to pay attention to what I eat. You hear that, stomach? Please stop rumbling. It's too early in this training cycle to be constantly hungry.

Total Miles: Scheduled - 25, Actual - 26.6

No comments:

Post a Comment