Saturday, June 25, 2011

Marathon Training Week 3

My training plan for the week was cross-train, run 3, 5, and 3 miles, rest, 5 mile pace run, and 6 mile long run. Stepback week #1. I like working hard, but I also secretly like stepback weeks. Just like I enjoy taper.

Sunday - Easy 40 minutes on the bike at the gym, plus a couple of planks. Those suckers are hard.
Monday - 3.5 mile run, plus abs, lower back, lunges with the exercise ball, and calf raises. Perfect running temps. I had to swap out a tank top for a T-shirt at the last minute.
Tuesday - 5.2 mile run. Planned a slightly different route than usual so that I could run along a river. I love that I have many options for running near water.
Wednesday - 3.6 mile run planned to finish at the gym, plus upper body exercises and squats (w/ an exercise ball and 2 12kg kettlebells), then a run-walk home. Humid. Intentionally nice and slow. Planks in the evening.
Thursday - Rest day. I did not feel so tired this week. Maybe it was the reduced mileage. Or lack of major league playoff games this week.
Friday - 5 mile run at marathon pace, plus pushups. Ended up going 20 seconds per mile faster than marathon pace. Oops. Better now than later. I kept trying to slow down but just went with it. That put me in the 5 mile race PR ballpark. Considering my 5 mile race PR was set on a flat course 2.5 years ago and my Friday run was not flat, I'll call it a win. This run was challenging, but nowhere near as challenging as essentially the same run on a treadmill.
Saturday - 6.2 mile long run. That is not a long run. But if that's what Hal Higdon told me to do, that's what I did. Cool and comfortable. Clip-on Fuelbelt bottles? Thumbs down. I still can't figure out how to work the clip, and I end up holding the bottle the whole time. The cap leaks. Good idea but poorly executed.

Total Miles: Scheduled - 22, Actual - 23.5

No comments:

Post a Comment