Saturday, July 23, 2011

Marathon Training Week 7

My training plan for the week was cross-train, run 4, 7, and 4 miles, rest, 7 mile pace run, and 14 mile long run. Ramp it up, runner.

Sunday - yoga class, plus 25 minutes walking to and from the gym, plus calf raises.

Monday - 4.2 mile run, plus lunges, abs, and lower back. Warm and humid. Probably one of the last runs without carrying water. It's getting hot out there.

Tuesday - 7.4 mile run, most of it with my mother-in-law. Ran into running buddies, which is always nice. Dropped the pace the last 1.5 miles or so to get my average pace below 9 minutes. Warm and humid. Again. Even first thing in the morning. As much as I don't like my leaky clip-on Fuelbelt bottles, they get the job done. Definitely can't run without water this week.

Wednesday - 4.3 mile run, plus upper body exercises and squats, plus 3/4 mile run-walk back from the gym. Cooler than it's been all week. Felt kinda sluggish and tired (didn't sleep well) but ran a consistent slightly-faster-than-normal pace. I brought water because I was going to carry my water bottle anyway. Didn't really need the water, but it was nice to have. Did some planks and pushups in the evening.

Thursday - Rest day. Supposed to be hot hot hot for the next few days.

Friday - 7.2 mile pace run on the treadmill, plus 3/4 mile warmup run to the gym and 3/4 mile run-walk (mostly walk) cooldown. The run was challenging but bearable. I had decided the night before that I wasn't going to attempt to run outside. It already felt like at least 80 degrees at 5:30am. Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll go to the air-conditioned gym instead. The whole point of a pace run is to get used to the effort level of running at your goal pace. There is no way I could have ran outside at my goal pace under those conditions. Normal comfortable pace, probably, but not goal pace. Also, I am officially done with Nike+. Yes, I need it for treadmill runs. But it is still eating my miles.

Saturday - 14.2 mile run. Started really early to avoid the heat. Humid but not too hot or sunny. It actually wasn't that bad, but I ran in a sports bra and skirt and brought partially frozen water bottles. The ice sloshed around for about a half hour until it melted. I started getting twinges of soreness in my quads around mile 8. Good. That is exactly what this training plan is supposed to help me get through. Stopped at my car at mile 10 to get more water. Grabbed two still frozen water bottles and a couple of ice cubes. Things of glory, especially the ice. I rubbed the ice on the back of my neck and held them in my hands until they melted. Took all of 2 minutes. The last mile was tough, but I got through it. Alone. With no music. Finished in under 2 hours. Uh, WHAT?? I thought you are supposed to slow down in the heat and humidity. But I am not slowing down, nor do I think I am pushing myself excessivly. That was my fastest long run ever. Seriously?? This stuff is epic.

Total Miles: Scheduled - 36, Actual - 37.3

No comments:

Post a Comment