Saturday, July 30, 2011

Marathon Training Week 8

My training plan for the week was cross-train, run 4, 7, and 4 miles, rest, 7 mile run, and 15 mile long run. Not including the week of the marathon, this is my 5th highest mileage week of this training cycle.

Sunday - yoga class, plus calf raises.

Monday - 4.2 mile run in pleasantly cool temperatures, plus lunges, abs, lower back, and pushups. I was feeling kinda sluggish, so I decided to just run and not pay too much attention to pace. At first, I thought it was because I didn't get enough sleep. But then I realized that I only drank half the amount coffee that I usually drink. Coffee grinds in coffee do not make for good coffee. Less sleep or less caffeine? I don't really know. However, I ran pretty consistent splits until I kicked it in the last .2 mile. Also, when did my comfortable easy not-paying-attention-to-pace pace get to where it is???

Tuesday - 7.4 mile run along the water in Narragansett. I didn't get home til way past my bedtime on Monday night, so I forewent my usual morning run in favor of getting enough sleep. I can't remember the last time I ran in the evening. It went OK. The change of scenery was nice. I really miss living near Narragansett.

Wednesday - 4.2 mile run. Another evening run because I decided enough sleep > running. Ran after work, cooled down, drove 45 minutes, and stopped at the gym to do some upper body exercises, squats, and planks. After all that, my arms were jelly. And so ends my brief return to evening workouts. Morning workouts are better for a whole host of reasons. The weather is cooler. It is easier to cross streets because fewer people are out. The gym is less crowded. I am more motivated, less tired, and can concentrate better.

Thursday - Rest day. And my wedding anniversary :-)

Friday - 7.1 mile run. Not too hot but very humid. Nice and easy. I'm getting the hang of the clip-on Fuelbelt bottle, but it's still annoying and difficult to manage. Also, wine the night before slows me down the next day. It could have been the humidity, or the wine, or both. I can't control the humidity, but I can control what I choose to drink. I think it was a smart move to limit alcohol to Saturdays during this training cycle.

Saturday - 15.2 mile run. Still alone. Still with no music. Early before it got too hot. It was sweaty but surprisingly pleasant. I chatted with some other runners who I ran with for a few minutes. I came across a just-opened and just-cleaned bathroom in a park (soap! running water!) at mile 9. I would like to thank the gentleman on a bike who congratulated me on my pace. Great way to help me kick in the last mile. I tested out running with Gatorade. It was fine, but I think I'll stick to mostly water.

Total Miles: Scheduled - 37, Actual - 38.1

Since I won't be running tomorrow, my July mileage total is done. 154 miles. That is my first month over 150 miles and my highest monthly mileage ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment