Tuesday, March 20, 2012

And now for my next act

It's official. I am running the Gansett Marathon in Narragansett, RI. In 25 days. 27 days after Shamrock.

Crazy? C'mon now. Did you really expect anything less? You're talking to someone who has already ran a marathon and half marathon 7 days apart. Yes, this is different. I will manage it. I got here by working hard, but I also got here by carefully listening to my body.

I volunteered at Gansett last year because I wanted to see what it was all about. I knew I'd qualify. Eventually. I didn't know that eventually was going to be this year. My time might not be good enough for 2013, so 2012 it is. Plus I can use my Shamrock time for Boston for next year. That actually works pretty well. How could I not sign up for the only qualifiers only marathon outside of the Olympic Trials?? People say you are ready for next marathon when you have forgotten the last one. I was psychologically ready to sign up for Gansett as soon as I crossed the finish line at Shamrock.

Gansett will be very different than, say, a big city marathon like Chicago. Heck, it'll be different than a small city marathon like Cox Providence. It will be a marathoner's marathon. No big corporate sponsors. No frills. No crowds. No big hassles. I'm looking forward to that.

I haven't mapped out my training plan yet. My legs are a little bit more beat up than after Chicago. But not by much. I am not having any trouble with stairs. I brought The Stick to work with me to use as necessary. I'll wait and see how long it takes me to recover. This week is going to be easy, hopefully getting back into running at the end of the week. I will be temporarily unemployed (mostly) after the end of this week. That means extra time to run. This opportunity is not likely to come around again anytime soon. Why not take advantage of it?

I knew there was a reason why I set the background on my phone to this picture of The Towers. Gansett runs under The Towers twice. I ran Shamrock with my phone tucked into the pocket of my Fuelbelt. In a way, The Towers came along with me :-)
Photobucket

2 comments: