Wednesday, March 7, 2012

More Music: Shamrock Playlist

I did some slashing and burning to my Shamrock Marathon playlist. I am planning to run as long as I can without my iPod and then turn the music on whenever I need it. At Chicago, that was about halfway through. I ran the last mile or two without music because I wanted to hear the crowds. I want to cut the playlist down to 4 hours of music or less so that I know the songs I want to hear will pop up. It worked exceptionally well with my Nike+ Women's Half Marathon playlist. The last 3 or 4 miles, every song made me want to sing along and run run run. Every song could have been my favorite song. I've cut the Shamrock playlist down to 6 hours. Not quite 4 hours of less. Oops.

I've been doing tweaking and testing for several weeks. Any song that I skip over gets cut, no matter how much I like it. I might add a few more songs, but I think the playlist is pretty much set. Just under 100 songs at the moment.

For each marathon, I pick out songs that are location-specific. For example, my playlist for running in New Orleans had King of New Orleans by Better than Ezra and Hello Hurricane by Switchfoot. Or I'd put London Calling by the Clash on a playlist if I ever run the London Marathon.

For the Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach, I looked for songs that had something to do with rock, green, Ireland, St. Patrick's Day, Virginia, beaches, ocean, or water. I didn't come up with much, but I did include:
Fraggle Rock - theme song, Pass It On, Pukka Pukka Pukka Sweetily Boink, Yes We Can, Stuff Samba (only because it has the line "Do the stuff you've always done before" and has already been tested on long runs)
Blue October - Into the Ocean
Dropkick Murphys - I'm Shipping Up to Boston, Tessie, Captain Kelly's Kitchen
R.E.M. - Orange Crush (from the album named Green)

I normally wouldn't go with Fraggle Rock songs. BUT Fraggle Rock is one of my favorite shows of all-time (yes, I am an adult, and yes, I still like and watch Fraggles, and yes, I fully admit to that). The songs are about 1-2 minutes long. Appropriate for Shamrockin' On? I think so.

Some other recent additions (purchased from iTunes):
Bruce Springsteen - Radio Nowhere
Death Cab for Cutie - I Will Possess Your Heart
Incubus - Dig
Linkin Park - Lying from You
Third Eye Blind - Non Dairy Creamer
Id Guiness - Going to Burning Man (found this through a podcast I listen to)
Pitbull (w/ Chris Brown) - International Love
Katy Perry - Part of Me
Ke$ha - Take It Off

Dug up from my music collection:
Weird Al - Yoda
30 Seconds to Mars - The Battle of One

No comments:

Post a Comment