Saturday, March 10, 2012

Marathon Training Week 17

My plan for the week was cross-train, run 4, 5, and 4 miles, rest, 3 mile run, and 8 mile long run. Second week of taper.

I was thinking about this week's schedule on my last long run, and I found myself thinking, "That's all? You're kidding, right? I want to run more!" Well, that's a first. I know I need to trust the plan, though. It is laid out that way for a reason. This week was, however, the first week since the end of December that wasn't above 30 miles and the first week since mid-January that wasn't close to or above 40 miles. The hungry marathon monster in my stomach needs to be aware of that. Less miles in theory means less food. Veggies and fruit for you, marathon monster.

In other news, I signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon on October 28. It's my new local marathon. My running buddies are coming down for it too. We all survived the Active.com crash and got in before registration closed in 2 hours 41 minutes. I predicted 4 hours. I can't believe it sold out faster than that. But no matter. We're in and ready to run. Fun times ahead!!

Sunday - yoga class, plus calf raises and lunges.

Monday - 4.5 mile run in the AM, plus some foam rolling afterwards. The run was a piece of cake. Not too far off from marathon goal pace, either. It was nice to run in sunlight. I will enjoy it this week, because it will be dark next week.

Tuesday - 5.5 mile run in the AM, plus abs and lower back exercises. Colder with a headwind on the way back. I actually yelled at myself for starting off too fast ;-)

Wednesday - 4.5 mile run on the treadmill, plus upper body strength training and squats. My body was telling me to take it easy on the squats and some of the upper body work, so I listened. I should probably start phasing out my strength training anyway. Nike+ ate 1.25 miles of my run. Super frustrating. I have an extra sensor. Maybe I need to swap the old one out. But still. That is unacceptable.

Thursday - Rest.

Friday - 9.3 mile run. I swapped my planned Friday and Saturday runs so that I could do a special run on Saturday. And I also don't work on Fridays so I have more time for a longer run. Decent weather, not too cold. Piece of cake again. I can't believe this was my last long run before Shamrock.

Saturday - 3.5 mile run with the new running club at my local Lululemon showroom. Chilly and windy. Too bad I am moving soon. It is nice running alone sometimes, but it is also nice running with other people.

Total Miles: Scheduled - 24 Actual - 27.5

I am down to single digits. 8 days to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment