Saturday, December 24, 2011

Marathon Training Week 6

My plan for the week was cross-train, run 3, 5, and 3 miles, rest, 6 mile pace run, and 9 mile long run. Stepback week #2. Very convenient that a stepback week lined up with the week before Christmas. I had most of my Christmas tasks under control. Cards dropped off in the mail, presents bought and wrapped, cookies and cake balls in progress, menus planned.

Sunday - yoga class, plus calf raises and lunges. Last yoga class for 2011.

Monday - 3.8 mile run in the AM. First very cold run. 15 degrees when I first woke up, and 25 degrees an hour after I was done. I was mostly appropriately dressed (winter tights, yoga pants, 2 long-sleeve tech shirts, fleece pullover, Bondi Band, lightweight hat, baseball hat, lightweight fleece neck gaiter, cheapie gloves) and stayed comfortable, except for my thighs and butt which got cold at 20 minutes in. That's pretty standard, though, and it takes some trial and error to find the right amount of clothing. Did abs and lower back in the evening.

Tuesday - 5.7 mile run. What a difference 24 hours makes. Easily 20 degrees warmer than Monday. I even got down to a single tech shirt.

Wednesday - 3.8 mile run on the treadmill (easy peasy), plus upper body strength training and squats. Even though it was warm, I headed to the gym to get everything done in one place.

Thursday - Rest. More sleeeeeeeep. And lots of cake balls. If you have never had cake balls, they are kinda like chocolate truffles with a cake and frosting filling. Cake balls everywhere. At work. In my fridge. More waiting to be dipped in chocolate in the freezer. Oh wait, I forgot. This is supposed to be about working out. I will have to work out a lot to compensate for all those cake balls. Or maybe cake balls are good fuel for endurance workouts? ;-)

Friday - 6.3 mile pace run. At an overall pace of 7:36. It really wasn't that hard. Hmmm. Something must be going right this training cycle.

Saturday - 10.2 mile run. Wasn't feeling it towards the end but I think it was a combo of 1) going out a little too fast 2) it was windy and fairly cold (a temperature reading I passed about 3 miles in said 28 degrees) 3) the holidays and 4) starting out mostly downhill which means coming back is mostly uphill. Overall, it was a fine run, though. I thought about wearing a Santa hat but decided I needed a real hat. I did have red arm warmers as a base layer and red Gatorade.

Total Miles: Scheduled - 26 Actual - 29.6

No comments:

Post a Comment