Saturday, December 3, 2011

Marathon Training Week 3

My plan for the week was cross-train, run 3, 5, and 3 miles, rest, 5 mile pace run, and 6 mile long run. Stepback week #1.

Sunday - yoga class, plus lunges. Got a pair of Saucony Hattori shoes for better stability for strength training. They are lighter than Nike Frees and more supportive and cushiony than Vibrams. Plus they're Sauconys and Sauconys have been my go-to shoes for years. So good so far. I don't plan on running in them, but we'll see.

Monday - 3.7 mile run on the treadmill, plus upper body strength training, abs, lower back, and squats. Had to be up early, so I figured I'd go to the gym and get most of my strength training for the week done. Still got to work a little earlier than usual, even with spending extra time at the gym.

Tuesday - 5.2 mile run. Outside. In shorts and a T-shirt. At the end of November. Felt slow but ran faster than I thought. That was a pleasant surprise.

Wednesday - 3.7 mile run in the PM. In the dark. I have a lot of trouble accurately sensing my pace in the dark. I don't know what it is. Maybe my sense of speed is thrown off, or I am not checking my Garmin as much, or I naturally slow down so that I don't trip on things I can't see.

Thursday - Rest.

Friday - 5.2 mile pace run. Didn't feel like trying to run fast in the dark (see Wednesday), so I ran on the treadmill. I even kept up a short conversation at the very end. I need to get outside for these runs, though, so that I learn how to pace myself without the help of a moving belt. Also did pushups and planks.

Saturday - 7.2 mile run. Trotted along down to Brown University and back. Nice run on a chilly morning. Got to break out my pompom hat for the first time this season. Pace was all over the place, but then again, I wasn't really keeping an eye on it and my run was unexpectedly hilly. I missed a turn and ended up running up a hill that I wouldn't have otherwise encountered. Haha, oops. I won't do that again.

Total Miles: Scheduled - 22 Actual - 25

No comments:

Post a Comment