Some more tips of random and a few ways to stay safe. This is not meant to be an exhaustive list. Just whatever I could think of.
1. Wear bright colors. This is particularly important in the dark but is true for daylight as well. The brighter the better.
2. Run against traffic if you are on the road.
3. Never ever assume a driver sees you. You will never win against a vehicle.
4. Pay particular attention to cars that are turning right. The driver is looking left and may not have seen you
5. Run with a partner.
6. Run with a dog.
7. Let someone know your route and when you might return.
8. Carry identification, or get a RoadID.
9. Carry your phone. Program an ICE (in case of emergency) contact into your phone book.
10. If you run with music, consider ditching the headphones. Or at least turn the volume low enough so that you can still hear what's going on around you.
11. Keep your eyes and ears peeled. Be aware of your surroundings.